The "Aboriginal Pioneers of the Peace" is a feature written by Beth Wilkins, Curatorial Assistant and Researcher, in conjunction with the Museum's Treaty 8 Exhibit on display until the end of August. The articles have also been published on the Community Page of the Peace River Record-Gazette.
Louise (Auger) George
Louise (Auger) George: Photo cutline: (l-r) Amy Eaton, Louise George (the first Mrs. H. A. George). The child is Alice George. From Peace River Remembers
Louise (Auger) George was born December 1883 at Wapiskow Mission—Claim No. 513. Scrip Certificate No. 1078A. Louise’s parents were: Father Michel Auger (Metis) and her mother Mary Anne Chekastaye (Metis)
She married Herbert Alfred (H.A.) George, September 1898 at Wapiskow Mission.
Louise was 15 – her husband 18. He was a Christian teacher at the Indian residential school for two years prior to his employ as an accountant with the Hudson’s Bay Company.
The couple and their two children, Max and Bert, moved to Peace River when H.A. became the manager of the Hudson’s Bay post -- among the first residents of the community. He is said to have told a friend that when he and his family left Wapiskow (Wabasca) with all their earthly possessions loaded on a light set of sleighs pulled by a team of cayuses”, he had the worldly sum of $400 in his pocket.
Later, the George’s had four more children, among them Louisa Irene George for whom Peace River’s first hospital was named.
The headstone bearing her name and year of death, 1915, and the names of two of the George children – Maxwell Sandfield, age 10, June 1910, and Louisa Irene, age two years, September 1910, now resides on the grounds of the Peace River Museum, Archives and Mackenzie Centre.
The George children were the first known burials in the Anglican cemetery on the ledge overlooking what is now the Bishop’s Lodge.
Source: Peace River Remembers; collectionscanada.gc.ca; Record-Gazette